Why is is important to choose a reliable company?
Most companies in the HVAC industry don’t express the need to be there for their customers after installation or service of heating and cooling systems. Research a company’s background, ask a friend or neighbor, or see recent work that they have done. A good reliable company, like us, will back every part of our work, whether it is through our maintenance contracts or excellent customer service. Remember, you are spending a lot of money or repairs or replacement of equipment and the last thing you have to worry about is if it was done right!
Why is it important to have a Maintenance Contract?
This is one way of protecting you from sudden breakdowns in equipment and a reminder regular maintenance as needed. By having a contract, depending on the level you choose, you will be reminded of your fall and spring tune-ups, changing of filters, and new information regarding coupons and rewards. Also, if your existing equipment is in need of repair or replacement, then your part will be covered or a discount on a replacing the new equipment.
What kind of features should I look for in a home comfort system?
When shopping for home cooling and heating services, look for these features for optimal comfort and savings:
1. Home climate control. High-efficiency devices include zoned heating by rooms and programmable thermostats set to match your schedule.
2. Efficiency. Energy savings result from high-efficiency systems sized and installed correctly in your home. Invest in the highest efficiency system you can afford for the greatest energy savings. Ask the service professional to calculate your home's cooling and heating load to get the proper fit for your new system. An over-sized or undersized system wastes money and needs repairs.
3. Air quality. Air pollution levels often are highest inside homes. A quality heating and cooling system will dehumidify and filter the air to reduce moisture and prevent mold and other pollutants.
4. Noise reduction. You want to relax at home, and not hear the radiator clang or the air conditioner drone. Shop for home comfort systems that provide quiet and efficient methods for cooling and heating.
When should I replace my existing heating and cooling unit(s)?
The timeframe to replace an existing unit would be anywhere from 12-15 years old. A few units last longer than that but regular maintenance and replacement of parts can be the result that the lifespan of your existing equipment lasted a longer period of time. Also, when replacing a unit (heater or air conditioner), replace both units and select the same manufacturer as well. This can extend the lifespan of your new units.
What is the regular maintenance needed for my heating or cooling unit(s)?
We recommend that your heating and cooling system be checked and serviced twice a year in the Spring and Fall. Also we recommend that you change your filter regularly, depending on the type of filter you have. This will eliminate the many problems that can occur when proper maintenance isn’t followed.
Why do I need to change my filter regularly?
Depending on the type of filter you have, it might require weekly or monthly replacement. It is important to change regularly to ensure the correct air flow is not being blocked, that the dirty germs or contents are not recycling into your home, and prevents the unit from sudden breakdowns and repairs. Call to ask how often it is to replace your filter and what else you can do to eliminate these contents better.
What should I look for when choosing a new heater, heat pump or ac unit?
When you are ready to replace your existing equipment, it is good to keep 3 things in mind. First, choose a manufacturer that has a good reputation of repairs and maintenance. Also, choose a model that with high efficiency equipment to bring you better comfort and lower your seasonal energy bill. A High Efficient Variable Speed Heat Pump is one great way. Second, choose the correct equipment size and system for your home. Don’t just buy one that is on sale and seems like a great deal, do some research on it or ask the installation representative for more product information. Finally, choose a reliable company with excellent customer satisfactions. One way is to ask to see previous comments of customer reports. Remember, this is a one time investment for the next 15 years, choose wisely!
Will buying ENERGY STAR appliances save me money?
ENERGY STAR is a government-backed guarantee that the appliance you buy meets strict efficiency standards. That's a big plus for households with heating and cooling systems, which are big energy users.
The EPA says that if one in 10 households bought ENERGY STAR heating and cooling products, the change would keep 17 billion pounds of pollution out of the air.
ENERGY STAR products include thermostats, boilers, heat pumps and air conditioners, among other items. You pay a little more upfront, but can save thousands of dollars in utility bills over the service life of the product.
Homeowners can do their part to keep ENERGY STAR products running efficiently. Hire qualified professionals to size and install heating and cooling systems.
How do I know if there are problems with air quality in my home?
Take this quiz to find out if you have air quality problems at home:
1. Does the air in your home feel clammy or wet?
2. Does your home overheat or get too cold?
3. Does your home get stuffy?
4. Do you suffer from indoor allergies?
5. Do odors linger in the kitchen and other rooms?
Answering yes to one or more of these questions can be a sign of problems with the atmosphere and comfort of your home. Perhaps you need extra dehumidification to reduce moisture or sensitive filtration systems to clean mold spores from the air. Identifying air problems is the first step to finding a residential HVAC system that meets your needs.
How do central air conditioners work?
Understanding basic functions of central air conditioners help you make better choices when purchasing and maintaining them. They cool, clean and circulate the air.
Central air conditioners remove heat and dehumidify, or take away moisture from the air. They also have air filters for removing dust and other particles. Warm indoor air passes over a very cold coil that removes the heat and moisture. Lowering the humidity level makes the air temperature more comfortable. Moisture removed from the air collects in a pan underneath the indoor coil, and is sent to a house drain. The unit's blower circulates the air, while refrigerant inside the coil cools it, and the outdoor compressor transfers heat from inside the home to the outside.
How can I save on installation and operating costs for my central air conditioner?
How much it costs to install your new central air conditioner is determined after an inspection of your home. As a consumer, it makes sense to know the factors that influence installation and operating costs.
- The installer first will need to check your furnace to see if the ductwork has to be upgraded or modified.
- The installer also will look at your home's electric service to ensure it can handle the increased load of the central air conditioner.
- If you are replacing an existing air conditioner, ask for a new indoor coil that matches the new outdoor unit. If the existing coil is not replaced, your unit will be less efficient and your electricity costs will be higher.
How often do I need to clean my heating/cooling system?
Plan to do cooling and heating system maintenance four times a year -- twice each winter and twice each summer. Keep this checklist handy for your routine maintenance:
- Inspect belts and blowers. Change worn-out belts. Oil blower bearings.
- Clean or replace filters. Some filters need to be cleaned monthly. Check your owner's manual for guidance.
- Clean and clear drains, traps and drip pans.
- Clean outdoor and indoor coils.